NEW RUSSIA'S PRIMER:
The Story of the Five-Year Plan
Translated: from the Russian by George S. Counts and Nucia P. Lodge
Source: Houghton Mifflin, 1931
HTML Markup: For marxists.org in January 2002.
A Note to the American Reader
I. WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT
1. Figures are Pictures
2. What One can See in Figures
3. A Difficult Task
II. TWO COUNTRIES
1. The Project of Our Country
2. What Happens When They Work Without a Plan
3. A Mad Country
4. The U.S.S.R. and the U.S.A.
III. THE SCOUTS OF THE FIVE-YEAR PLAN
1. The Scouts of the Five-Year Plan
2. What the Scouts Say
3. Every School Child Must be a Scout
IV. CONQUERORS OF THEIR OWN COUNTRY
1. Conquerors of Their Own Country
2. Giant Workmen
V. THE CONQUEST OF WATER AND WIND
1. What do We Need Most of All?
2. What can the Wind Give Us?
3. The War with the River
4. River, Stand Back!
5. How the River Smashed a Steel Wall
6. Fire Under the Water
7. Three Days' Work for One Kopeck
VI. THE DEAD WORK
1. The New Don Basin
2. We will Force the Dead to Work
3. Raw Materials from Flesh and Bones
4. Should Wood be Burned?
5. Mines Near Moscow
6. Peat Saves Moscow
7. Green Coal
8. Ponds of Oil
9. Steel Pilgrims
VII. AN ELECTRIFIED COUNTRY
1. What is the Difference Between Coal and Stone?
2. One or One Hundred?
3. A Union of Factories
4. An Electrified Country
VIII. ON THE MARCH FOR METAL!
1. The Museum of the Future
2. Why Giants?
3. When the Multiplication Table Should not be Used
4. Hands for Kilograms: Cranes for Tons
5. Legs for Meters: Locomotives for Kilometers
6. When a Thousand is Better than Two Thousand
7. What does Clement Say?
8. Where the Kazak Used to Wander
9. A Mountain Which will be Eaten up
10. Pies of Coal and Ore
11. An Unheard-of Machine
IX. IRON WORKMEN
1. What Machines are Most Essential?
2. Things Which Make Things
3. Two Leningrads and Three Urals
4. A Factory is an Automaton
5. How They Work Without Mistakes
X. THE CHEMICAL BRIGADE OF OUR COUNTRY
1. Our Ally Chemistry
2. The Chemical Brigade of the Country – Factories
3. The War with Things
XI. MINES OF GRAIN
1. Bread is Coal
2. Factories Without Walls and Without Roofs
3. The Calculations of a Professor Who did not Know how to Calculate
4. Factories on Wheels
5. When One Man Replaces a Hundred
6. A Living or an Iron Engine?
7. Machine-Tractor Stations
8. Two Departments of a Grain Factory
9. We shah Change the Map of U.S.S.R.
10. A Colossal Task
XII. THE WAR WITH THE KILOMETERS
1. Rivers of Freight
2. What is a Railroad?
3. A Giant Road
4. How to Bring Siberia Nearer to Moscow
5. New Roads
6. Ways Without Rails
7. How About the Airplane?
8. A New River
9. Spring Waters Imprisoned
XIII. NEW PEOPLE
1. A Fragment from a Book to be Written Fifty Years Hence
2. New Life and New People
3. The City of the Future
4. Factories for the Refining of People
5. The Little Five-Year Plan and the Big Five-Year Plan